Nursery Plant Health Specialist
Under the direction of the Grow Manager and in alignment with the Company Core Values, the Plant Health Specialist oversees the overall health of the garden, manages the IPM program and collaborates on our clean plant program. The Plant Health Specialist would be responsible for pest scouting and pesticide application activities in a production environment, including, but not limited to, application preparation and documentation of pesticide treatments, and maintaining a pest free nursery by performing the following duties: (1) Daily scouting of the nursery, looking at overall plant health, pest populations and signs of pathogens; (2) Accurately identify and record findings of target pests, pathogens and any nutritional deficiencies or toxicities on a weekly basis ; (3) Promptly reports breaches of safety, compliance and sanitation to the Grow Supervisor and Grow Manager; (4) Utilizes equipment such as microscopes, slides, scales, etc., for measuring, and Argus chemigation accurately; (5) Develop, execute, update and maintain all pesticide application standard operating procedures; (6) Accurately weighs, mixes, measures and pours pesticide product in a safe manner according to product label; (7) Oversee the training of all QAC holders and general pesticide handler training to all production staff; (8) Continuing education in regulatory compliance and safety regulations to ensure we are operating according to the law. Other duties as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Proactively monitor and scout plants for early detection of insects, diseases, and viruses. Develop an integrated pest management strategy
- Interpret media and plant nutrient testing results to solve production problems and optimize growing conditions for each cultivar.
- Accurately weighs, measures, mixes, and pours and pesticide product according to the label.
- Properly record and submit monthly pesticide application reports to DPR.
- Meet weekly with Grow Manager to report findings and make recommendations.
- Utilizes microscope other tools to perform laboratory work and properly identify target pests and pathogens.
- Collaborates with and provides support to nursery staff within a production environment.
- Follows standard operating procedures at all times in a safe and compliant manner.
- Create and/or update any new standard operating procedures based on new or emerging compliance and/or Company policies.
- Promptly reports breaches in compliance, safety, and sanitation to management.
- Monthly inventory of all products needed including PPE, beneficials and pesticides
- Collaborate with management team to assure compliance with all regulations.
- Continuing education in State, Federal and local regulatory compliance regarding pesticides, PPE and applications specific to the agri-cannabis industry, as well as other safety initiatives.
- Maintain and update crop activity records, documents, chemical application logs, etc.
- Collaborate with a team to develop and maintain a clean plant scouting program.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily (with or without accommodations). The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree in Botany, Horticulture, Plant Sciences, Entomology or other related field
- Must have QAL
- At least 1 year of experience of IPM/ Plant health in a greenhouse or nursery environment
- Working knowledge of pest identification, focused on aphids, mites, thrips, fungal and bacterial pathogens.
- Strong understanding of plant health, nutrient deficiencies and toxicities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with teams
- Proven ability to perform a variety of tasks under time constraints and strict deadlines
- Demonstrated efficiency, productivity, attention to detail, accuracy, and results orientation
- Ability to accurately use microscope
- Remaining in a seated or standing position for extended periods
- Hand and finger dexterity required for extended periods
- Consistent hand-eye coordination
- Wearing gloves and other required protective gear for extended periods when required
- Working in aseptic conditions under a laminar flow hood
- Able to lift up to thirty (30) pounds at a time
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word to impart oral information to colleagues and management
- Ability to operate a Bio Plus Fogger as needed
- Climate controlled nursery conditions conducive to plant life
- PPE required at all times when pesticides are being handled, which may include a Tvech suit and respirator
- Strong odors from pesticide and cleaning products
- Normal operating hours are Monday through Sunday , 8:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. (may be subject to change depending on operational needs)
- Occasional loud noises from machinery
Dark Heart Nursery, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Dark Heart Nursery complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.